Be part of Ford RideLondon FreeCycle on Sunday 28 May 2023
This year's Ford RideLondon FreeCycle will be held over eight miles of traffic-free roads in central London between 10:00 and 15:00 on Sunday 28 May. The event gives people of all ages and abilities a unique opportunity to cycle along some of the capital’s most famous roads and past iconic landmarks! You can check out the full route here.
Join us on the day
You don’t have to register in advance to take part – in fact, you don’t even have to bring a bike, as Santander Cycles will be available to hire at docking stations across the city with their bikes serviced throughout the day. So, if you’d like to travel to the route by tube and pick up a bike when you arrive, check out the list of docking stations near London Underground stations below.
Please check here before taking any bikes on the tube, unless you have a folding bike. If travelling with your bike is not possible, don’t fret, as extra Santander Cycles will be available near the Ford RideLondon FreeCycle route. The following docking stations near the route will have staff on hand to provide more cycles to hire and additional space to dock bikes:
- Waterloo Place
- Waterloo Bridge
- Lincoln's Inn Fields
- Craven Street
Where can I find a Santander Cycle?
You can join Ford RideLondon FreeCycle or watch the ride at any point on the route. The nearest London Underground stations with Santander Cycle docking stations where you can pick up a bike use are listed below – you can also visit TfL’s website for more information:
- Westminster: from here you’ll be able to join RideLondon FreeCycle on Whitehall and head past Downing Street.
- Temple: pick up the route on Victoria Embankment and see if you can spot the square that appears on the board game Monopoly. Victoria Embankment is noted for several memorials, such as the Battle of Britain Monument; permanently berthed retired vessels, such as HMS President; and public gardens, including Victoria Embankment Gardens.
- Embankment: another location from where you will be able to join on Victoria Embankment, with glorious views across the Thames, including of the London Eye.
- Charing Cross: joining here will enable you to pick up the route on The Stand, which runs for three-quarters of a mile from Trafalgar Square to Middle Temple Lane, where it becomes Fleet Street. You will also pass the beautiful Somerset House and the glamorous Savoy Hotel.
- Bank: stop off here, pick up a Santander Cycle, and join the ride in the heart of the City of London. Here, you'll also find one of our two Festival Zones.
- St Paul’s: this is the home to our second Festival Zone, located beside the magnificent St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Holborn: joining here will give you a great view of the aptly named High Holborn – the highest point in the City of London, at 22 metres (72 feet) above sea level. You will also be able to get to our Festival Zone Three in Lincoln’s Inn Fields from here.
- Chancery Lane: join the ride as you head towards Holborn Viaduct.
- Piccadilly Circus: start here for quick access to Trafalgar Square and Festival Zone Four at Waterloo Place.
- Leicester Square: another central location where you will be able to join the route or soak up the atmosphere at Trafalgar Square.
- Cannon Street: this is the best station to use for access to the route Queen Victoria Street.
- Blackfriars: go to the northern side of Blackfriars Bridge and join the ride as it heads along Victoria Embankment.
Festival Zones for everyone
The Ford RideLondon FreeCycle route also features two Festival Zones, located at Bank and St Paul’s, where riders can stop for mechanical help, food and drink and enjoy activities such as music, games and face painting!