Using the Ford RideLondon App on your Android smartphone
We want everyone to make the most of the Ford RideLondon App – and if you use an Android smartphone, that means adjusting some of your settings first.
The default settings on Android smartphones are geared towards battery optimisation, which means that the recording of GPS data in the background is turned off. This makes it difficult for you to use the brilliant tracking function on the Ford RideLondon App and for loved ones to follow your ride. To fix this, it's important that you turn off battery optimisation on your Android before you get going!
Scroll down to find your smartphone device and see the simple steps you need to take to enable the correct settings for the Ford RideLondon App. If you need more information, visit dontkillmyapp.com and click through to the relevant smartphone model.
- If you use a Google smartphone such as a Pixel 2 or Pixel 4, especially on Android 10 or later, you do not need to change any of your settings. Good news!
- Go to Settings → Battery/Power → Battery optimisation → Not optimised → All apps → Ford RideLondon App → Don't optimise → Done
- Go to your phone settings and add the Ford RideLondon App to your list of protected apps. Ignore any energy optimisation or battery saving modes.
- Go to Settings → Apps → Apps → Ford RideLondon App. Then, press App launch and enable all three options in the Manage manually pop-up box – these are Auto-launch, Secondary launch and Run in background.
Please note that the following Huawei devices have known issues with tracking:
- Huawei Nova, Nova+
- Huawei P8, P8 Lite
- Huawei G7, G7 Plus
- Huawei Mate 7, Mate S
- Huawei Honor 7, 6, 6 Plus
- Honor 7, 6, 6 Plus, 4C
- Huawei Mate 9, 8
- Huawei P9, P9 Plus, P9 Lite
- Honor 8
- Go to Settings → Battery and Energy saving → Battery usage → Ignore optimizations. Then, disable the Ford RideLondon App.
- Go to Settings → Battery. Then, tap on the menu on the right of your screen and select Battery optimisation → Not optimised → All apps → Ford RideLondon App → Don't optimise
- Go to Settings → Battery → Battery optimisation. Then, tap the drop-down-menu and select All apps → Ford RideLondon App → Don't optimise
- Power saving mode must first be disabled – to do this, go to Settings → Battery → Power saving mode
- Then, go to settings → Apps and tap on the menu icon at the top-right of your screen. Next, select Special access → Optimise battery usage → All apps and deactivate for the Ford RideLondon App.
- Go to Settings → Battery and tap on the menu icon at the top-right of your screen. Then, select Battery optimisation/Exclude from Power saving → Apps → Ford RideLondon App
Xiaomi (MIUI OS)
- Go to Settings → Battery and power → Apps → Ford RideLondon App
- Then, go to Settings → Passwords and security → Location. Set the mode to High and enable location access.